Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Slow-Cooked Roast Beef with Tomato Gravy
Very little beats the flavour of slow-cooked roast beef with gravy. This recipe can be made in a slow cooker or a Wonderbag too.
- 1.5 kg boneless beef roast (topside, brisket or similar)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ml (1 t) dried mixed herbs
- 45 ml (3 T) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 115 g Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste Sachet
- 250 ml (1 C) red wine
- 500 ml (2 C) prepared beef stock
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 30 ml (2 T) corn flour mixed with a little water to form a paste
- Season the beef with the salt, pepper and mixed herbs.
- Heat the oil in a large stove to oven saucepan or casserole dish and sear the beef on all sides to brown.
- Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the onions and cook for a few minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and fry for a few minutes more.
- Stir in the Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste and the red wine. Using a wooden spoon to scrape any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the beef stock and the Rhodes Quality Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes and bring to the boil.
- Return the beef to the pan and cover tightly with the lid or tin foil.
- Transfer the beef to an oven that has been preheated to 160°C and braise for 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove the beef from the casserole and bring the gravy to the boil.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- If the gravy is not thick enough, stir in the corn flour paste and stir until the gravy thickens.
- Slice the roast and serve with the gravy.