Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Slow-Cooked Lamb Stew
A simple slow-cooked lamb stew recipe makes for a rich and satisfying meal. This delicious stew is real comfort food, perfect for cooler weather.
- 30 ml (2 T) sunflower oil
- 30 ml (2 T) butter
- 2 stems celery, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 ml (1 t) dried thyme
- 800 g stewing lamb, cut into even sized pieces
- 65 ml cake flour
- 250 ml (1 C) prepared beef stock, hot
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 – 4 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 30 ml (2 T) butter, melted
- In a heavy bottomed casserole dish (that can go from stove to the oven), heat the oil and butter.
- Add the celery, brown onion and carrots and fry until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the thyme.
- Toss the meat in the cake flour and shake off the excess.
- Add the meat to the saucepan and stir until the meat browns.
- Add the beef stock and the Rhodes Quality Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Season to taste.
- Bring to the boil and stir while the sauce thickens.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 1.5 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Check the seasoning.
- Place a layer of thinly sliced potatoes over the top of the stew.
- Brush the potatoes with the melted butter and season with salt.
- Place the stew in an oven preheated to 180°C and bake for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.