This fuss-free beef mince recipe can feed a crowd. But if it’s a smaller meal you’re after, simply halve the quantities of ingredients. Did you know? Shepherd’s Pie is traditionally made with lamb mince and cottage pie is made with beef mince.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 T) sunflower oil
- 850 g lean beef mince
- 50 g Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste Sachet
- 30 ml (2 T) Worcester sauce
- 15 ml (1 T) dried Italian herbs
- 10 ml (2 t) chopped garlic
- 500 ml (2 C) prepared beef stock
- 900 g potatoes, peeled and cut into even sized pieces
- 80 ml (⅓ C) butter
- 45 ml (3 T) milk
- coarsely ground pepper
- 2 x 400 g cans Rhodes Quality Mixed Vegetables, drained
- Fry the onion in the oil until soft and golden.
- Add the mince and brown lightly.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste, Worcester sauce, dried herbs, garlic and stock and simmer for 20 minutes or until the liquids have reduced and thickened.
- Meanwhile cook the potatoes in salted water for 10 – 15 minutes or until tender.
- Add the butter and milk and mash until smooth.
- Season to taste with pepper and set aside.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Mixed Vegetables to the mince and heat through.
- Season to taste and spoon into an ovenproof dish or 8 large ramekins and cover with the mashed potato.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly.