Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Pepper Steak Pie
A South African winter favourite. Homemade and delicious.
- 1.5 kg beff steak, de-boned and cubed
- 125 ml (½ cup) cake flour
- salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10 ml (2 tsp) dried mixed herbs
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Tomatoes Chopped & Peeled
- 1 x 50 g Sachet Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste
- 500 ml (2 cups) prepared beef stock
- 20 ml (1Tbsp + 1 tsp) cracked black pepper
- 1 x 400 g roll ready-made puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Place the beef cubes in a large bowl.
- Add the cake flour and season well with salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Shake the excess flour off the meat and fry in batches until seared on all sides and set aside.
- Add the onions to the saucepan and, over a low heat, fry until softened.
- Add the garlic and herbs and fry for a few minutes more.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Tomatoes Chopped & Peeled, Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste and the beef stock and bring to the boil.
- Return the meat to the sauce and simmer over a low heat for 60 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the beef is tender and the sauce is thick.
- Season with the 20 ml (1Tbsp + 1 tsp) pepper and additional salt if needed.
- Once the mixture is cool prepare the pie dishes.
- Very lightly roll out one layer of the pastry to just a little bit larger than the pie dish.
- Press to the pie dish.
- Place the cooled pie filling into the pastry shell.
- Brush the edge of the dish with water and place a second layer of pastry over the top, sticking the edges together.
- Make a hole in the lid center with the tip of the knife, to allow steam to escape as the pie bakes.
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Chill the pie for 15 minutes to set the pastry.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190˚C for 30 – 35 minutes until the pastry is crisp, puffed up and deep golden brown.