Ginger spice adds a freshness to the crumble of this wintery dessert, complimenting the sweetness of the pears.
- 1 x 825 g can Rhodes Quality Pear Halves in Syrup, drained and cut into smaller pieces
- 200 g (1 cup) brown sugar
- 100 g (1 cup) oats
- 100 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 ml salt
- 2.5 ml ground ginger
- 125 ml butter, cubed
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp.) Hinds Vanilla Custard Powder
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp.) sugar
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk, divided
- Place the chopped Rhodes Quality Pear Halves in the bottom of a pie dish.
- Make the crumble by placing the brown sugar, oats, flour, salt and ginger in a bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture until evenly incorporated.
- Sprinkle the ginger crumble over the pears.
- Bake the crumble in a preheated oven at 180°C for 25 – 30 minutes or until the crumble is golden and crisp.
- In the meantime, prepare the custard.
- Mix Hinds Vanilla Custard powder, sugar and 45 ml (3 Tbsp.) of the milk together.
- Bring the remaining milk to the boil in a saucepan, pour the custard mix into boiling milk, and stir well until thickened to a pouring consistency.
- Serve the crumble warm with the prepared custard.