Dense and firm dessert cake, served on its own or with thick custard.
- 315 ml (315 g) butter, softened
- 315 g (1 ½ cups) brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 750 ml (350 g ) cake flour, sifted
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) ground mixed spice
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Pear Halves in Syrup, drained
- 100 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- icing sugar for dusting
- Beat the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until pale and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Beat in the flour and the mixed spice.
- Spoon half the cake mixture into a cake pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Take half of the Rhodes Quality Pear halves and chop into quarters.
- Sprinkle the chopped pears and the chopped chocolate over the batter.
- Cover with the remaining cake batter and bake in an oven that has been preheated to 160°C for 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove the cake and push the remaining Rhodes Quality Pear Halves, sliced, into the top of the cake.
- Return to the oven to bake for a further 40 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the pan and cool until serving.
- Serve at room temperature or slightly warm with thick custard if desired.