An indulgent after-dinner or tea-time treat. Creamy vanilla custard with Rhodes Quality Peaches and readymade puff pastry. A quick version of an old fashioned favourite.
- 1 x 500 g roll prepared puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk mixed with a little water
- Rhodes Quality Peach Slices
- Unroll the puff pastry and trim it to fit a baking pan, approximately 20 cm x 20 cm.
- Place the pastry on a baking tray lined with baking paper and brush with the egg yolk and water mix.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and puffed.
- Take the puff pastry and using a sharp knife slice the puff horizontally in half taking care not to break it.
- Place the bottom sheet of pastry into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Place the milk and vanilla essence in a medium saucepan and bring to the heat.
- In a bowl place the flour, corn flour, eggs and egg yolks and whisk well.
- Pour the hot milk over the egg mixture and whisk to mix into a custard.
- Strain the custard back into the pot and whisk continuously over a medium heat until thickened.
- Cook for a few minutes more before whisking in the cream.
- Allow to cool off a little.
- Spoon half of the custard onto the pastry.
- Arrange the Rhodes Quality Peach Slices on top of the custard and spoon the remaining custard on top of the peaches.
- Place the top half of the pastry on the top of the second layer of custard and press it down ever so slightly.
- Place in the fridge and allow to set.
- Whisk small amounts of warm water into the icing sugar, adding just enough to make a smooth thick paste and pour over the top of the custard slices.
- Allow to set.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the icing sugar.
- Cut the custard slices into portions, use a serrated knife for best results.