This sweet pie is an impressive dessert. A bake that’s a little trickier to make, but if you follow the recipe step by step, you will have great success.
- 1 x 200 g packet of ginger biscuits
- 90 ml (6 T) melted butter
- Rhodes Quality Peach Slices
- Process the biscuits into fine crumbs.
- Add the melted butter and mix well.
- Push the mixture into tart pan roughly 20 cm in diameter.
- Place the contents of 1 can of Rhodes Quality Peach Slices into a blender together with the lemon juice.
- Puree until smooth. Measure out 250 ml (1 C) of the puree, adding a little of the reserved peach syrup to make up the full cup if necessary.
- Place the sugar, corn flour, and salt into a medium saucepan and whisk in the water to form a smooth paste.
- Cook the paste over a medium heat, whisking continuously, until the mixture starts to boil and thicken into a jelly like paste.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Place the egg yolks in a medium bowl and whisk in a large spoonful of the jelly.
- Add the peach puree to the remaining jelly in the saucepan and whisk well to combine. Add the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan and whisk until smooth.
- Return the saucepan to the heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the butter.
- Pour the peach filling into the crust and smooth it into an even layer.
- Leave to cool completely until set.
- Place the egg whites and the castor sugar in the top of a double boiler.
- Cook over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved in the egg whites and the mixture is warm to the touch.
- Transfer the meringue mixture to an electric mixer.
- Beat using the whisk attachment for 5 – 10 minutes or until the meringue is glossy.