Here is a delightfully easy and economical one-pot poultry meal. Serve straight from the oven with a crisp garden salad.
- 12 chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 10 ml (2 t) paprika
- 45 ml (3 T) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 packet rindless bacon, chopped
- 300 g uncooked white rice
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Tomato Italian Style
- 115 g Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste Cup
- 250 ml (1 C) red wine
- 500 ml (2 C) prepared chicken stock
- Season the chicken to taste with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Heat the oil in a shallow oven proof casserole dish and brown the chicken in batches.
- Set aside.
- To the same pan, add the onion and leek and fry until softened.
- Add the garlic and bacon and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir briefly.
- Return the browned chicken pieces to the pan, placing them on top of the rice mixture.
- Spoon the Rhodes Quality Tomato Italian Style over the chicken.
- Place the Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste Cup, wine and stock in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Pour the wine over the chicken in the casserole and cover with a lid or tin foil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for an hour or until the rice is fluffy and soft and the chicken cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve with a crisp green salad.