A dense and easy to bake tea loaf with a sweet orange glaze. We love tea loaves; they are easy to prepare and great for tea parties.
- 80 ml poppy seeds
- 65 ml milk
- 190 ml (190g) butter
- 250 ml (1 C) castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- 375 ml self-raising flour
- 125 ml cake flour
- 2.5 ml salt
- 125 ml Rhodes Quality Orange 100% Fruit Juice Blend
- 190 ml icing sugar
- 65 ml Rhodes Quality Orange 100% Fruit Juice Blend
- 2.5 ml orange extract (optional)
- Pour the poppy seeds into the milk and allow to stand.
- Cream the butter and the sugar until pale and light.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix together the Rhodes Quality Orange Fruit Juice and the milk.
- Sift the flours and salt together and add to the batter alternating with the orange juice mixture.
- Spoon the batter into a loaf pan that has been lined with baking paper.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180°C for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Whisk small amounts of Rhodes Quality Orange Juice into the icing sugar, adding just enough to make a smooth thick paste.
- Whisk in the orange extract if using.
- Pour the orange glaze over the top of the loaf.