A simple roast chicken that’s true home-style cooking. The whole chicken cooks in one pot with vegetables and potatoes – making sure that no flavour is lost.
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Chickpeas, drained
- 65 ml (¼ C) butter
- 45 ml (3 T) sunflower oil
- 1 whole chicken, cleaned
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 ml (2 t) fresh thyme leaves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 200 g baby potatoes, peeled
- 250 ml (1 C) prepared chicken stock
- Heat the butter and the oil together in a large heavy bottomed casserole dish.
- Season the whole chicken with the salt, pepper and thyme and place into the casserole dish.
- Brown the skin well on all sides.
- Remove the chicken from the dish and set aside.
- Add the onions, carrots and garlic to the dish and fry for a few minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the baby potatoes and stir well to coat.
- Return the chicken to the casserole dish.
- Add the chicken stock and place the lid on the casserole dish.
- Place the casserole dish into the oven preheated to 170C and roast slowly for 45 minutes.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Chickpeas to the vegetables and stir well.
- Replace the lid and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Your choice: To thicken the sauce, remove one cup of the vegetables together with some sauce and blend to smooth with a hand held blender.
- Return the puree to the remaining sauce in the dish and stir well to mix through.
- Carve the chicken and serve.