Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Old Fashioned Peach Pie
Sweet Rhodes Quality Peaches in a flaky crisp pastry. A delicious and nostalgic dessert.
- 625 ml cake flour
- 2.5 ml salt
- 250 g (1 cup) butter, chilled and cut into blocks
- 65 ml full-fat vegetable shortening, chilled and cut into blocks
- 80 – 125 ml cold water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp.) brown sugar
- 3 x 410 g cans Rhodes Quality Peach Slices in Syrup, well drained
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp.) bisto Corn Flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) ground cinnamon
- 2.5 ml ground nutmeg
- Place the flour and the salt into a food processor.
- Add the blocks of butter and shortening.
- Process for a few pulses until the butter is cut into the flour and the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add the cold water 45 ml (3 Tbsp.) at a time, giving short pulses between each addition, until the dough comes together and starts to form a ball.
- Turn the dough out of the food processor onto a clean surface and divide the dough in half.
- Shape each half into a ball and then flatten each ball into a disk.
- Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out one disk to fit a pie dish.
- Trim off any excess and refrigerate until needed.
- To make the filling, place the Rhodes Quality Peach Slices into a bowl.
- Sprinkle over the Bisto Corn Flour and the spices and toss well to mix.
- Spoon the peach filling into the pie dish.
- Roll out the second pastry disk and cover over the filling.
- Pinch and flute the edges.
- Brush the beaten egg over the top crust and cut a few vent holes.
- Sprinkle the pie crust with the brown sugar.
- Bake the pie in an oven that has been preheated to 190°C for 35 minutes or until the pie crust is golden.