Vegetarian version of a hearty Russian casserole, creamy and simple to prepare.
- 400 g pasta noodles
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) olive oil
- 30 ml (2 T) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 400 g wild mushrooms, halved
- 250 g button mushrooms
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 springs of fresh thyme (or ¼ tsp dried thyme)
- grated zest of one lemon
- 125 ml (½ cup) dry white wine (or vegetable stock)
- 375 ml (1½ cups) prepared vegetable stock, hot
- 1 x 50 g sachet Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste
- 45 ml (3 T) all-purpose flour
- 250 ml (1 C) sour cream
To serve: Rhodes Dill Gherkins in Glass, sliced fresh thyme leaves
- Cook the pasta according to instructions on the pack, then drain and set aside, keeping warm.
- Heat the oil and 15 ml (1 Tbsp) of the butter in a large frying pan.
- Add the onion and quick fry over high heat to brown.
- Add the garlic and fry for a few minutes more.
- Add the mushrooms and toss well to mix.
- Season well with salt and pepper and stir in the thyme and the lemon zest.
- Continue to fry over a medium heat until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Add the white wine or 125 ml (½ cup) vegetable stock, and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to remove any brown bits.
- Whisk together the remaining vegetable stock, Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste and flour until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the mushrooms and simmer, stirring often, until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Season well to taste.
- Pour the mushroom stroganoff over the cooked pasta.
- Add sliced Rhodes Dill Gherkins, fresh thyme leaves and serve.