We’ve added Rhodes Corn, smoky bacon and cheese to the ever-popular fluffy mashed potato side dish to make it even better.
- 1.5 kg large potatoes
- 190 ml milk
- 80 ml butter
- 250 ml (1 C) sour cream
- 250 ml (1 C) grated cheddar cheese
- 1 x 225 g packet streaky bacon, chopped and crisp fried
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Whole Kernel Corn, drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ml ground nutmeg
- 65 ml parmesan cheese
- Peel the potatoes and chop into quarters.
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of salty water and bring to the boil.
- Cook over medium heat until the potatoes are soft and can be poked through with a knife without resistance.
- Drain in a colander.
- In the same saucepan, place the milk and the butter and bring to the heat.
- Return the drained potatoes to the saucepan, and over a low heat, mash with a potato masher, incorporating the milk and melted butter until the mash is smooth and creamy.
- Remove the potato mash from the heat.
- Stir in the sour cream and 125 ml of the cheddar cheese.
- Stir in the bacon, spring onions and the Rhodes Quality Whole Kernel Corn.
- Season well to taste with the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Spoon the mashed potato into a casserole dish.
- Top the mashed potato with the remaining 125 ml cheddar and the parmesan cheese.
- Bake the casserole in an oven preheated to 180°C for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the mashed potato is heated through.