Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Mac and Cheese
Macaroni and cheese is good, but nothing beats the flavour and comfort of a homemade pasta dish. Easy on the budget and easy on time, this recipe is great for everyone.
- 240 g dried macaroni
- 250 g (1 packet) bacon, chopped
- 1 x 400 g Rhodes Quality Tomato Italian Style
- 65 ml butter
- 5 ml (1 t) Dijon Mustard
- 45 ml (3 T) flour
- 500 ml (2 C) milk, warm
- 1 handful mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 handful cheddar cheese, grated
- salt, pepper and nutmeg
- 125 ml fresh breadcrumbs
- 45 ml (4 T) parmesan cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook the macaroni as per the packet instructions.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan, add the bacon bits to the hot pan and fry until crispy.
- Pour off any excess oil and then add the Rhodes Quality Tomato Italian Style.
- Simmer for a few minutes to heat through.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the mustard.
- Add the flour and stir to mix with a wooden spoon.
- Using a whisk, whisk in the hot milk and continue whisking until the sauce is smooth and thick.
- Cook over low heat for a few minutes to cook out the flour.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the 2 cheeses.
- Once the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth, season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the cooked macaroni and stir to mix.
- Spoon the macaroni into a baking dish and pour over the cheese sauce.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and the parmesan cheese together and sprinkle this mixture over the top of the pasta.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 20 minutes until heated through.
- Serve immediately.