Winter comfort soup, nutritious and economical to feed a crowd.
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 10 ml (2 tsp) ground cumin
- 10 ml (2 tsp) dry mixed herbs
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Pakco Mild and Spicy Curry Powder
- g (1 cup) brown lentils
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Tomato Puree
- 2 lt. (8 cups) vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 60 ml (4 Tbsp) flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 125 ml (½ cup) grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until golden.
- Add the garlic, celery, carrots and potatoes and cook until the vegetables are fragrant.
- Add the spices and stir to mix.
- Add the lentils, vegetable stock and the bay leaves and bring the soup to boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and season to taste.
- Simmer the soup until the lentils are soft.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Remove 500 ml (2 cups) of the soup and purée it in a blender until smooth.
- Return the pureed soup to the saucepan and adjust the seasoning if required.
- Stir in the parsley and the parmesan cheese and serve.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cooking Times: 50 minutes