Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Spicy, one-pot tomato rice dish from West Africa.
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Tomatoes Chopped & Peeled
- 2 red peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1-2 chillies (Scotch bonnet are authentic)
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 65 ml (1 x 115 g) Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste
- 750 ml (2½ cups) prepared chicken stock
- 10 ml (2 tsp) Packo Mild & Spicy Curry Powder
- 5 ml (1tsp) dried thyme
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 500 ml (2 cups) white rice
- 2 bay leaves
- to serve: 30 ml (2 Tbsp) chopped parsley
- Place the Rhodes Quality Tomatoes Chopped & Peeled, the red peppers and the chillies into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and fry until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste and fry for two minutes more.
- Add the tomato-pepper puree and stir.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for ten minutes.
- Add chicken stock, Packo Mild & Spicy Curry Powder and thyme.
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Add rice and bay leaves and stir well.
- Reduce heat and cover the saucepan with a lid.
- Simmer, stirring often, until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Add extra water or chicken stock if needed during cooking.
- Remove the jollof from the heat.
- Remove the lid and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, sprinkle with parsley and serve.