Fresh from the oven homemade focaccia. Serve as an appetiser or with your favourite soup.
- 600 g plain flour
- 10 ml (2 t) salt
- 5 ml (1 t) sugar
- 1 x 10 g packet dried yeast
- 15 ml (1 T) butter, melted
- 500 ml (2 C) lukewarm water
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) olive oil
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Tomato Italian Style
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) grated parmesan cheese
- To make the focaccia dough, sift the flour, salt and sugar into the bowl of a mixer.
- Sprinkle over the yeast.
- Pour in the butter.
- Using the dough hook attachment and the mixer on a medium speed; add enough of the water to bring together a soft dough.
- The dough must be able to knead easily and should not stick to your hands or the bowl.
- Continue to knead the dough for about ten minutes until it is elastic and smooth.
- Form into a ball and place in a floured bowl.
- Cover with a damp cloth and leave in a warm spot to rise until it has doubled in size.
- Knock down with your fist and knead again.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a square on a floured surface.
- Place the dough on a baking try lined with baking paper.
- Use your fingers to make small divets in the dough.
- Brush the dough with the olive oil.
- Spoon the Rhodes Quality Tomato Italian Style over the top of the dough.
- Sprinkle over the seasoning and the parmesan cheese.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180ºC for 25 minutes or until the bread is golden and well risen.
- Cut into squares and serve warm.