Delicious and nutritious, this salad is filling and keeps well.
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) olive oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) apple cider vinegar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
- 5 ml (1 tsp) brown sugar salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup raw buckwheat, rinsed
- 500 ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 x 410g can brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 4 large handfuls of baby spinach
- 65 ml (¼ cup) sunflower seeds
- 125 ml (½ cup) crumbled Feta cheese
- 250 ml (1 cup) Rhodes Quality Sliced Beetroot in Vinegar, drained
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl to make the dressing and whisk well to blend.
- Season to taste and set aside.
- Place the buckwheat in a saucepan with the stock and bring to the boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the water has been absorbed. Leave the lid on, set aside for 5 minutes, and then fluff with a fork.
- Toast the sunflower seeds in a dry frying pan until golden.
- Combine the lentils, spinach, buckwheat, sunflower seeds and feta cheese in a bowl and toss well to mix.
- Add Rhodes Quality Sliced Beetroot.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cooking Times: 20 minutes
Use the drained chakalaka sauce to flavour mayonnaise and butter, or toss with hot pasta for a quick and spicy snack.