Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Granadilla Curd and Vanilla Cake
- 1 x 240 g Rhodes Quality Granadilla Pulp Cup
- 125 g butter, melted
- 80 ml sugar
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 120 g plain yoghurt
- 600 g cake flour
- 450 g sugar
- 15 ml (3 tsp) baking powder
- 2.5 ml salt
- 345 g butter, softened
- 250 ml (1 Cup) butter, softened
- 500 ml (2 Cups) icing sugar, sifted
- 15 Ð 30 ml (1 – 2 Tbsp) milk
to decorate: small meringues, granadilla curd
- Place the Rhodes Quality Granadilla Pulp into a heat proof bowl along with the butter and the sugar.
- Add the whole eggs and the egg yolks.
- Whisk well to mix.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Stir continuously until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Switch to a whisk and continue to whisk over the low heat until the curd is thick and glossy.
- Transfer to a clean jar, cool and refrigerate overnight.
- Place the eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, milk, and yoghurt into a bowl.
- Whisk to combine.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add the sugar and stir to combine.
- Add the butter and beat with the paddle attachment until breadcrumbs.
- Beat in the egg mixture, one half at a time until evenly blended.
- Divide the batter between your four small cake pans. (See note below.)
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180°C for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and cool.
- Transfer the cake layers to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the butter icing by beating the butter until smooth, pale and light.
- Add the icing sugar and beat until well mixed and smooth.
- Add 15 – 30 ml (1 – 2 Tbsp) milk to soften the consistency if required.
- Place one layer of vanilla cake on a cake board.
- Spread with butter icing.
- Spoon granadilla curd onto the icing and spread evenly over the layer.
- Repeat with the remaining layers.
- Finish with a smooth layer of butter icing all over the cake.
- Decorate with extra granadilla curd and meringues if desired.