An easy-to-make cake and fruity tea time treat. All you need is a microwave and a few moments to spare.
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Fruit Cocktail in Syrup
- 2 eggs
- 315 ml sugar
- 500 ml (2 C) cake flour
- 10 ml (2 t) bicarbonate of soda
- 125 ml walnuts, chopped
- 400 ml evaporated milk
- 190 ml sugar
- 250 ml (1 C) butter
- 5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
- Drain and reserve the syrup and fruit from the Rhodes Quality Fruit Cocktail in Syrup.
- Beat the syrup, eggs, 315 ml sugar, flour and bicarbonate of soda together until well mixed.
- Add the fruit cocktail pieces and walnuts and mix well.
- Pour the batter into 2 oiled microwave-safe cake pans.
- Microwave each cake layer for 7 minutes and set aside.
- Place the evaporated milk, the 190 ml sugar and butter in a large bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Stir and microwave on medium for a further 2 minutes or until the sauce is thick and caramel in colour.
- Add the vanilla essence and stir.
- Place the 2 cake layers on top of each other, pour the milk mixture over the still warm cake and allow to cool before serving.