Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Frozen Pear and Custard Loaf
This festive dessert is creamy like ice cream but layered with fruit and biscuits like trifle. It’s the best of both.
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp.) Hinds Vanilla Custard Powder
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp.) sugar
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk, divided
- 6 egg whites
- 500 ml (2 cups) cream
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Pear Halves in Syrup, drained and chopped
- 1 x 115 g cup Rhodes Quality Granadilla Pulp
To decorate: white chocolate balls, edible flowers
- Mix Hinds Vanilla Custard powder, sugar and 45 ml (3 Tbsp.) of the milk together.
- Bring the remaining milk to the boil in a saucepan, then pour the custard mix into the boiling milk, stirring well until thickened.
- Cool the custard.
- In a clean, dry bowl, whip the egg whites using an electric mixer until soft white peaks form.
- Continue beating and slowly add 65 ml of caster sugar.
- Beat until the egg whites form a soft meringue and set aside.
- Beat the cream until thick but not stiff. Set aside.
- Fold the cream into the custard.
- Fold the meringue mixture into the custard and cream base.
- Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap, then dip the finger biscuits in the brandy, sherry or fruit juice and place a layer of biscuits down the bottom of the pan.
- Cover with a layer of custard.
- Add a layer of the chopped Rhodes Quality Pear Halves, then add the remaining custard and complete with a second layer of finger biscuits.
- Cover the top with cling wrap and freeze for 4 hours or until set.
- Turn the loaf out of the pan and remove all the plastic.
- Drizzle the top of the loaf with Rhodes Quality Granadilla Pulp.
- Decorate with chocolate balls and flowers, slice and serve.