Crisp and filling. Serve as a side dish or appetiser at your next braai.
- 750 ml (3 cups) water
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) salt
- 120 g (¾ cup) maize meal
- 30 g (2 Tbsp) butter
- 120 g cheddar cheese, cut into blocks
- sunflower oil for frying
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 250 ml (1 cup) Southern Coating Extra Crispy Crumbs
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Chakalaka Hot & Spicy
- Bring the water and the salt to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add the maize meal and whisk until smooth.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, over a low heat until thick and stiff.
- Add the butter and stir until melted.
- Once the pap is cold, take even spoonfuls of the pap and form into balls around a block of cheese.
- Dip the pap balls in the egg.
- Roll the balls in the Southern Coating Extra Crispy Crumbs, shaking off any excess.
- Half fill a medium saucepan with oil and bring to the heat.
- Deep-fry the pap balls until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve hot, dipping each ball into the Rhodes Quality Chakalaka.