Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Fish & Vegetable Crumble Pie
This cheesy, crunchy fish pie is a wonderfully easy and economical dinner. Remember, be environmentally conscious and only buy SASSI-approved seafood.
- 600 g hake fillet, deboned, skin off
- juice of one lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 30 ml (2 T) sunflower oil
- 30 ml (2 T) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 45 ml (3 T) cake flour
- 500 ml (2 C) milk, warm
- 250 ml (1 C) grated cheddar cheese
- 2 x 400 g cans Rhodes Quality Mixed Vegetables, drained
- 190 ml dried breadcrumbs
- 45 ml (3 T) chopped flat-leaf parsley
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 65 ml grated parmesan cheese
- Lightly brush a baking tray with oil. Place the cleaned fish into the tray and season with the lemon juice and the salt and pepper.
- Bake the fish in an oven preheated to 180°C for 25 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
- Use two forks to pull the fish apart into even sized chunks. Set aside.
- Heat the oil and butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add the onion and the garlic and fry for a few minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the cake flour.
- Return the saucepan to the heat and slowly whisk in the warm milk.
- Once all the milk has been added continue to cook over low heat until the sauce thickens and is smooth.
- Add the cheese and stir to melt.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Mixed Vegetables.
- Gently stir in the cooked fish so as not to break up the fish too much.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the fish mixture to a casserole dish.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, parsley and lemon rind and sprinkle over the fish. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the breadcrumbs.
- Bake the Fish Crumble Pie in an oven preheated to 180°C for 10 minutes or until the topping is crisp and the fish mixture begins to bubble through.