Easy, crunchy baked deliciousness. This crispy cake with its gooey jam center can be served at tea time, or warm with cream or ice cream, as dessert.
- 125 ml butter
- 125 ml sugar
- 15 ml (1 T) sunflower oil
- 5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 500 ml (2 C) cake flour
- 15 ml (1 T) baking powder
- 2.5 ml salt
- 250 ml (1 C) Rhodes Quality Strawberry Jam
- icing sugar for dusting
- Cream the butter and sugar with the oil and vanilla essence until light and creamy, add the egg and beat well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and add to the creamed mixture, working the mixture into a dough.
- Halve the dough and place one half in the freezer for 30 minutes or until frozen.
- Press the unfrozen dough evenly across the bottom of a greased cake pan.
- Spread the dough with all of the Rhodes Quality Strawberry Jam.
- Grate the frozen dough over the top of the jam, and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 40 minutes or until golden and crunchy.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool and dust generously with icing sugar before serving.