Egg-free meringues that taste as good as the original. This recipe uses the brine of Rhodes Quality Chickpeas instead of egg. It’s an exciting dessert recipe for vegan and egg-free diets.
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Chickpeas
- 250 ml (1 C) caster sugar
- softly whipped cream
- to serve: 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Peach Slices in Syrup, drained
- Drain the brine from the can of Rhodes Quality Chickpeas in Brine and pour it into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- On full speed, whip the brine until it becomes fluffy and white.
- Slowly, one spoonful at a time, add the sugar, beating well after each addition.
- Once all the sugar has been dissolved and the meringue mixture is glossy and smooth it is ready for use.
- Pipe or spoon even sized meringues onto a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper.
- Bake the meringues in a preheated oven at 120°C for 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and allow the meringues to cool until crisp and dry.
- Serve with whipped cream and Rhodes Quality Peach Slices.