Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Easy Pear & Cardamom Strudel
- 2 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Pear Halves, drained
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp.) butter
- 2.5 ml ground cinnamon
- 1 ml ground nutmeg
- 2 – 4 whole cardamom pods
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp.) bisto corn flour
- 80 ml brown sugar
- 4 sheets phyllo pastry
- 125 ml butter, melted
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp.) almond flakes
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp.) Hinds Vanilla Custard Powder
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp.) sugar
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk, divided
- Chop the Rhodes Quality Pear halves into even-sized chunks and place into a medium sized bowl.
- Melt the butter over a gentle heat.
- Crush the cardamom pods with the back of a knife and add the seeds to the butter.
- Turn off the heat and allow the flavour of the cardamom to infuse into the butter for a few minutes.
- Add the cardamom butter to the chopped pears and add the cinnamon, nutmeg, corn flour and sugar and toss well to mix.
- Lay a single sheet of phyllo pastry on a flat surface.
- Brush to the ends of the sheet with melted butter and cover with another sheet of phyllo.
- Repeat with the 2 remaining sheets.
- Leave a small border on each side and place the mixture on one half of the pastry sheet lengthwise.
- Roll the pastry into a log encasing the filling and secure the open end with extra butter.
- Place the strudel open-side down onto a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper.
- Brush the top of the strudel with butter and sprinkle with the almonds.
- Bake the strudel in an oven that has been preheated to 290C for 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Mix Hinds Vanilla Custard powder, sugar and 45 ml (3 Tbsp.) of the milk together.
- Bring the remaining milk to the boil in a saucepan.
- Pour the custard mix into boiling milk, stir well until thickened.
- Serve the strudel warm with the custard.