Make this showstopper dessert today. Simply layer up the easy-to-make pancakes with fruity fillings and cream then finish with a sweet orange sauce.
- 250 g cake flour
- 10 ml (2 t) baking powder
- 1 ml salt
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml sunflower oil
- 5 ml (1 t) vinegar
- 750 ml (3 C) milk
- a little sunflower oil for frying
- Rhodes Quality 100% Orange Fruit Juice
- Rhodes Quality Seville Orange Marmalade
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Whisk the eggs, oil, vinegar and milk together.
- Slowly whisk the egg mixture into the flour forming a thick lump-free batter at first, then as more liquid is added a smooth pourable batter.
- Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Turn the heat to medium and pour off any excess oil.
- Add about 65 ml to 125 ml of batter to the pan and swirl the pan around so that the batter settles in an even layer.
- Cook the pancake for about 2 minutes or until the base is golden before flipping over the pancake and cooking for a further 1 minute on the other side.
- Transfer the pancake to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Place the Rhodes Quality 100% Orange Fruit Juice in a small saucepan.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Seville Orange Marmalade and heat to boiling point.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened.
- Add the liqueur if using and the lemon juice.
- Increase the heat and bring the mixture back up to just below boiling point.
- Remove from heat and add the butter, one cube at a time, mixing each cube in well before adding another.
- Layer the pancakes in a stack alternating with a layer of the orange or naartjie segments, the Rhodes Pineapple Pieces, and the cream.
- Pour the orange syrup over the pancakes and serve.