These easy to make, fresh-from-the-oven corn and cheese scones are perfect for breakfast or tea. Serve with soft butter and your favourite Rhodes Jam.
- 500 ml (2 C) cake flour
- 15 ml (1 T) baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Whole Kernel Corn, drained
- 125 ml cold butter, cubed
- 1 extra-large egg
- 190 ml buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
to serve: soft butter for spreading, grated cheddar cheese, Rhodes Jam
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together twice. Using your fingertips, work the butter into the flour.
- Stir in the Rhodes Quality Whole Kernel Corn.
- In a separate bowl, mix the extra-large egg and buttermilk together.
- Portion by portion, add a little bit of the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, mixing after each addition.
- Bring together to form a dough, kneading once or twice to smooth the surface.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 2 cm thick and press out scones using a medium cookie cutter or a glass.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven preheated to 200C for 10 – 12 minutes or until baked through and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Serve with spread with soft butter and grated cheese.