This yeast-free South African vetkoek dessert is a firm favourite. Tossed in sweet cinnamon sugar and filled with Rhodes Quality Jam, it’s a treat.
- 500 g (4 C) cake flour
- 30 ml (2 T) sugar
- 20 ml (4 t) baking powder
- 5 ml (1 t) salt
- 4 eggs
- 500 ml (2 C) warm milk
- sunflower oil for frying
- Rhodes Quality Strawberry Jam
- Sift the cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs and the milk.
- Whisk the milk into the dry ingredients, beating well until the mixture is smooth and thick.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Check that the oil is ready by adding a small amount of dough to the oil.
- If it bubbles straight away, then the oil is ready.
- Ladle evenly sized rounded spoonful of the batter into the hot oil and fry until golden.
- Drain on paper towel to remove the excess oil.
- Toss the hot vetkoek in the cinnamon sugar and leave to cool slightly.
- Make an incision in the vetkoek with a sharp knife and fill the cavity with Rhodes Quality Strawberry Jam.
- Serve immediately.