Everyday easy cooking – these homemade pies are simple to make.
- 30 ml (2 T) sunflower oil
- 600 g beef mince
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 10 ml (2 t) mild curry powder
- 5 ml (1 t) turmeric
- 5 ml (1 t) garam masala
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Processed Peas, drained
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500 g ready-made puff pastry
- for brushing: 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan pan and add the beef mince.
- Fry until the beef mince is almost cooked.
- Drain off any excess fat and set aside.
- Add the onion to the same pan and fry until the soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and the spices and fry for a few minutes more.
- Return the mince to the pan and mix well.
- Continue to cook until the mince is cooked through and the flavours well blended.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Processed Peas and cook until heated through.
- Season to taste and set aside to cool.
- Roll out the puff pastry and line the bottoms of 6 foil pie dishes with pastry.
- Brush the bottom and the edges with the egg.
- Evenly fill all 6 pies with the curried mince.
- Cut 6 round pastry tops for the pies and lightly secure the tops to the outer edges of the pie bottoms.
- Brush with egg.
- Bake the pies in an oven preheated to 180°C for 25 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.