When it comes to chocolaty dessert dishes, you can’t go wrong with this cherry trifle. Take your traditional trifle to new chocolaty heights this festive season. Buy ready-made chocolate custard if you’re in a hurry.
- 500 ml (2 C) milk
- 45 ml (3 T) cake flour
- 45 ml (3 T) cocoa powder
- 45 ml (3 T) corn flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 80 g (1 packet) cherry jelly
- 6 chocolate brownies or Swiss roll slices, broken into pieces
- 65 ml (¼ C) brandy or sweet rooibos tea
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Very Cherry
- 250 ml (1 C) cream, stiffly beaten
- To make the custard, place the milk in a saucepan and heat to just boiling.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, corn flour, eggs and egg yolks together.
- Pour the hot milk into the egg mixture and whisk to mix.
- Strain the custard back into the saucepan and whisk over medium heat until thickened.
- Remove from the heat.
- Prepare the jelly according to the instructions on the packet and set aside to cool.
- To assemble the trifles: crumble the brownies or Swiss roll slices into 6 glasses, sprinkle with the brandy or tea and then top with layers of the fruit and syrup of the Rhodes Quality Very Cherry, the custard, the prepared jelly and whipped cream.
- Finish with the cream and chill the trifles in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.