Great for chilly nights, this succulent fall-off-the-bone chicken potjie recipe is creamy and packed full of vegetables. You can cook it slowly over the coals or even on the stove.
- 30 ml (2 T) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 pieces of chicken (on the bone)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200 g butternut, chopped
- 200 g baby potatoes, halved
- 200 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Green Beans Cross Cut, drained
- 1 x 400 g can creamy mushroom soup
- 250 ml (1 C) white wine
- If desired, thicken the sauce with : 15 ml (3 t) corn flour mixed with 45 ml (3 T) water
- Heat a potjie pot over medium coals and add the oil.
- Add the onion, leeks, celery and garlic and fry until softened.
- Add the chicken and seasoning, and lightly brown the chicken pieces on all sides.
- Layer the butternut, potatoes, button mushrooms and Rhodes Quality Green Beans on top of the chicken and do not stir.
- Mix together the mushroom soup and the wine and pour over the vegetables.
- Close the potjie with the lid and simmer over low coals for 40 minutes.
- For a thicker sauce mix the corn flour and water into a smooth paste and then gently stir paste into the potjie.
- Simmer without the lid for 5 minutes more.
- Season to taste and serve hot over rice or pap.