Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Chicken and Vegetable Potjie
Slow-cooked chicken casserole in a potjie pot.
- 8 chicken pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp.) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500 g baby potatoes, halved
- 250 ml (1 cup) beer or prepared chicken stock
- 1 packet brown onion soup powder, prepared with 500 ml (2 cups) water
- 2 x 400 g cans Rhodes Quality Mixed Vegetables, drained
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a potjie pot and fry the chicken, a few pieces at a time, until golden brown.
- Add the onion and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the potatoes in a layer on top of the chicken.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Mixed Vegetables in a layer on top of the potatoes.
- Pour over the beer or chicken stock and the prepared brown onion soup.
- Close the potjie with the lid and simmer over low coals for 40 minutes.
- Simmer without the lid for 5 minutes more.
- Season to taste and serve hot over rice or pap.