- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Chickpeas in Brine, drained, brine reserved
- 250 ml (1 cup) cake flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) spinach leaves, chopped
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) ground coriander
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) ground cumin
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Tomato Sauce
- 30 ml (2 T) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400 g cans Rhodes Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes
- 115 g can or cup of Rhodes Tomato Paste Cup
- salt, pepper and sugar to taste
- Place the drained Rhodes Quality Chickpeas, cake flour, spinach, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper into a food processor.
- Add 80 ml (⅓ cup) of the reserved Rhodes Quality Chickpea brine and process to a course mixture.
- Shape the mixture into 12 even sized balls and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the vegetables and fry until soft.
- Stir in the garlic, Rhodes Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes and Rhodes Tomato Paste.
- Bring the sauce to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste.
- Place the dumplings into the sauce and simmer for 15 minutes more, turning the dumplings over half way though.
- Serve hot over rice or mashed potatoes.