Homemade and served fresh from the oven, this cheesy cornbread is a winner at every family braai. It only takes a few minutes to prepare and it doesn’t need any special equipment. You can also add any herb of your choice, or even a little chilli or cayenne pepper if you’d like to spice things up.
- 500 g self-raising flour
- 7.5 ml (1½ Tsp.) salt
- 90 ml (6 Tbsp.) sinely sliced spring onions (the green parts)
- 90 g cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes (.5 cm)
- 1 x 400 g Can Rhodes Quality Cream Style Sweetcorn
- 2 jumbo eggs, beaten
- 200 ml (¾ Cup + 2 Tsp.) buttermilk
- Sift the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Add the spring onions and cheese and mix lightly.
- Whisk the Rhodes Quality Cream Style Sweetcorn, eggs and buttermilk together and mix lightly into the dry ingredients but be careful not to overwork the dough.
- Place the dough into a large greased loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 75 minutes or until a skewer, when inserted, comes out clean and the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with butter.