Delicious, simple, and enough to feed the whole family, Zola Nene padkos creation is an all-in-one travel snack for those long summer road trips.
For the hummus:
- 300 g diced butternut
- 3 red peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 60 ml olive oil
- 2 x 400 g cans Rhodes Quality Chickpeas in Brine
- 50 ml (4 Tbsp.) tahini paste
For the sandwich:
- Wild rocket
- Shaved ham or chicken
- 2 mozzarella balls
- 1 ciabatta loaf or sourdough loaf,
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place the butternut, peppers, cumin and 50 ml (4 Tbsp.) of olive oil into a baking dish.
- Toss together, then roast for 25 minutes or until the butternut is tender.
- Place butternut and peppers, remaining olive oil, chickpeas, tahini and seasoning into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Cut off the top of the loaf, then scoop out the inside of the bread don’t throw these away, freeze them to use as breadcrumbs.
- Spread the hummus generously all over the inside of the loaf.
- Begin layering the sandwich by rocket, ham and mozzarella.
- Press the ingredients down firmly, then top with the bread lid.
- Wrap the entire loaf with foil until ready to serve.
- This sandwich can be made the night before and stored in the fridge, perfect for a road trip.
Slice into wedges to serve.