Buttermilk scones fresh out of the oven with a thick layer of butter and jam are a tea party essential. Serve with your favourite Rhodes Quality Jam flavour.
- 560 g flour
- 2.5 ml (½ t) salt
- 40 ml (8 t) baking powder
- 80 g butter
- 250 ml (1 C) buttermilk or maas
- 125 ml (½ C) cold water
- 1 egg
To serve: softened butter, Rhodes Quality Strawberry Jam, lightly whipped cream (optional)
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Lightly rub in the slightly softened butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Whisk the buttermilk or maas together with the egg and water.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the flour.
- Lightly work the mixture into a rough dough, and then tip the dough out onto a floured surface.
- Gently knead the dough into a smooth ball.
- Flatten out the dough ball and then use a rolling pin to smooth it out even further until the dough is 3 to 4 cm thick.
- Use a large fluted cutter to cut out the scones.
- Place the scones onto a baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray and dusted with flour.
- Let the scones rest for 15 minutes and then bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 12 minutes, or until scones are well risen and golden.
- Cool for a few minutes and then serve warm with the butter, Rhodes Quality Strawberry Jam and cream if using.