Easy and budget friendly, this recipe is the perfect solution to busy weekday cooking.
- 1 kg potatoes
- 125 ml (½ C) milk
- 45 ml (3 T) butter
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 500 g boerewors
- 30 ml (1 T) sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Chakalaka Hot & Spicy
- Peel the potatoes and chop into quarters.
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of salty water and bring to the boil.
- Cook over medium heat until the potatoes are soft and can be poked through with a knife without resistance.
- Drain in a colander.
- In the same saucepan, place the milk and the butter and bring to the heat.
- Return the drained potatoes to the saucepan, and over a low heat, mash with a potato masher, incorporating the milk and melted butter until the mash is smooth and creamy.
- Season the potato mash to taste with the salt and pepper and set aside.
- Fry or grill the boerewors until cooked and browned on both sides.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Drain excess fat from the pan.
- Heat the oil in the same pan and fry 1 large sliced onion until softened.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Chakalaka Hot & Spicy and bring to the boil.
- Cut the boerewors into smaller pieces and add to the chakalaka mix.
- Heat through and serve hot over the mashed potato.