Easy on the wallet, this filling stew is perfect when catering for a large group on a budget.
- 8 onions, chopped
- 1 kg rindless bacon, chopped
- 250 ml (1 C) sunflower oil
- 10 kg stewing beef, cut into evenly-sized pieces
- 10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500 ml (2 C) cake flour
- 1 kg Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste Cup
- 1 x 3.06 kg can Rhodes Quality Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes
- 3 litres beef stock, hot
- rosemary sprigs to taste
- 2 kg carrots, chopped
- 4 kg baby potatoes
- salt and ground pepper
- In a heavy-duty saucepan, brown the onion and bacon in the oil.
- Remove from the saucepan and set aside.
- Using the same saucepan, brown the meat in batches and when done, return all the meat, onions and bacon to the pan.
- Add the garlic and flour, and stir to absorb the oil and coat the meat.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Tomato paste, Rhodes Quality Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes and stock.
- Place the rosemary sprigs on top of the stew, cover with a lid and simmer for 1- 2 hours or until tender.
- Add the carrots and potatoes, and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Season well and serve with rice.