This popular Russian casserole is hearty, creamy and simple to prepare. Our version is quick cook and uses Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste which adds an extra dash of flavour to the sauce.
- 600 g beef steak, cut into strips
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 45 ml (3 T) olive oil
- 65 ml (¼ C) brandy or white wine
- 30 ml (2 T) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 250 ml (1 C) mushrooms
- 45 ml (3 T) all-purpose flour
- 500 ml (2 C) prepared beef stock, hot
- 10 ml (2 t) Dijon mustard
- 30 ml (2 T) Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste
- 250 ml (1 C) sour cream
- 45 ml (3 T) chopped parsley
To serve: Rhodes Dill Gherkins, sliced,
- Season the meat with the salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the steak and quick fry over high heat to brown.
- Set aside.
- Deglaze the pan with the brandy or white wine and then pour the pan juices over the steak.
- Melt the butter in the same pan.
- Add the onions and the garlic and fry until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for a few minutes more.
- Sprinkle the cake flour over the top of the mushrooms.
- Stir in the beef stock, mustard and Rhodes Tomato Paste.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add back the steak and cook for a further 3- 4 mintues or until everything is heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve over mashed potatoes or pasta with Rhodes Quality Dill Gherkins on the side.