Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Beef and Vegetable Pie
Winter comfort food at its finest. Slow cooked beef and vegetable pie in a flavoursome gravy.
- 600 g deboned beef chuck
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper 5 ml (1 tsp) cayenne pepper
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) fresh thyme leaves
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Tomato & Onion Gravy 250 ml (1 cup) prepared beef stock
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) cornflour mixed in 65 ml water
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Mixed Vegetables, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400 g Prepared Puff Pastry
- 1 egg, whisked with a fork
- Season the meat with the salt and peppers. Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed casserole dish.
- Add the beef and brown on all sides. Remove the meat and set aside. In the same saucepan, fry the onions for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the carrots and fry until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and the thyme and fry for a few minutes more.
- Return the beef to the pan. Pour in the Rhodes Quality Tomato & Onion Gravy and the beef stock.
- Simmer over low heat for 2 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Bring the sauce back to the boil. Add the cornflour and stir until the sauce is thickened.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Mixed Vegetables. Season to taste.
- Remove from the heat and cool. Unroll the puff pastry and without rolling, cut out a lid to match the size of a pie dish.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and use it to line the base and sides of the pie dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Spoon the cooled filling into the pie dish.
- Brush the edge of the pastry with the egg and place the prepared pastry lid over the top, sticking the edges to the base pastry.
- Make a hole in the lid center with the tip of the knife, to allow steam to escape as the pie bakes.
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Chill the pie for 15 minutes to set the pastry.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190˚C for 30 – 35 minutes until the pastry is crisp, puffed up and deep golden brown.