This barbeque style baked beans salad is great with a braai. Three types of Rhodes beans are used to make a versatile salad which can be served hot or cold, over grilled meats or as a side dish.
- 15 ml (1 T) sunflower oil
- 200 g streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 small brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 x 410 g Rhodes Quality Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce
- 1 x 400 g Rhodes Quality Butter Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400 g Rhodes Quality Red Speckled Sugar Beans, drained and rinsed
- 250 ml (1 C) barbeque sauce
- 15 – 30 ml (1 – 2 T) Honey
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the bacon and fry until the bacon is cooked through.
- Discard any excess fat.
- Add the onions to the bacon in the saucepan and continue cooking until the bacon begins to crisp and the onions brown.
- Add the crushed garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce, Rhodes Quality Butter Beans and the Rhodes Quality Red Speckled Sugar Beans.
- Add the barbeque sauce and bring the beans to the boil.
- Turn down the heat to low and simmer the beans for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the beans from sticking to the pan.
- Season to taste with the honey and remove from the heat.
- Serve hot or cold.