Frugal and delicious easy winter dinner.
- 1x 250 g packet streaky bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 x 410 g cans Rhodes Quality Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp.) Worcestershire sauce
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 100 g (1 cup) cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg, whisked
- 600 g (1-2 rolls) ready-rolled puff pastry
- Fry the bacon bits in a non-stick frying pan till crisp and fragrant. Set aside.
- In the same pan, melt that butter and fry the onion over medium heat until softened.
- Add the garlic and fry for a few minutes more.
- Return the bacon to the pan.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce and bring to the heat.
- Remove and season to taste with the Worcestershire sauce and the black pepper.
- Stir in the cheese and set aside to cool.
- Very lightly roll out the pastry and cut to size for six individual pies dishes.
- Cut 6 circles to size for the tops.
- Line the pie ramekins with the pastry for the bottoms.
- Place the cooled pie filling into the pie pastries.
- Brush the edge of the pastry with the egg and place pastry tops over the top, pinching the edges together to seal.
- Pierce a small hole in the lid with the tip of the knife, to allow steam to escape as the pie bakes.
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Chill the pie for 15 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for 30 minutes or until the pastry is crisp, puffed up and deep golden brown.
- Serve hot.