Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Amagwinya with Sweetcorn and Cheese
Deep-fried yeasty dough balls also known as vetkoek or fat cakes, a popular snack with a creamy sweetcorn filling.
- 1 kg (7 C) cake flour
- 5 ml (1 t) salt
- 10 ml (2 t) sugar
- 65 ml butter
- 1 x 10 g packet instant yeast
- 750 – 875 ml warm water
- sunflower oil for frying
- 1 x 400g can Rhodes Quality Sweetcorn
- 250 ml (1 cup) grated cheddar cheese
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Combine the flour, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles crumbs.
- Add the yeast and stir well to mix.
- Then add enough of the warm water to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic, cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise until it has doubled in size.
- Knock the dough down and divide it into equal pieces.
- Roll into balls, flatten lightly and place on a floured baking sheet, leaving enough space between them to expand and rise.
- Cover and leave to rise in a warm spot for another 30 minutes.
- Half fill a saucepan with oil and heat.
- Fry the amagwinya over medium-high heat until golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
- Drain on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Heat the Rhodes Quality Sweetcorn in a saucepan.
- Add half of the cheese and the parsley and stir to melt.
- Slice the amagwinya in half and fill with the sweetcorn.
- Serve immediately.